New to Canberra?

Welcome to Canberra!

If you are moving to Canberra, and want to keep your family in touch with the German language and make German friends, consider moving to the north side (north of Lake Burley Griffin), as that is where most of the Spielwelt action and schools offering German for children are!


Was your child born overseas or interstate?

Children living in Canberra are entitled to a "Blue Book" (children's health record book).  You can get one by ringing the ACT Health Intake line on 6207 9977. 

Get yourself enrolled for the free government-run Maternal And Child Health (MACH) program, so that you can see a nurse with any health questions you have, for free.

MACH nurses can also see to your child's immunisation if you wish.

If your child is 3 years old, and speaks very little English at home, he or she may be eligible for Early Entry into a government preschool here.  (Preschool is for 4 year olds, and the government offers everyone 12 to 15 hours per week for free.)  Contact the ACT Department of Education, Early Childhood section, for more information.


    Related Information

    Free Health Advice by phone

    Info on Moving to, Living and Working in Canberra